Potiki Adventures is experienced in providing Marae Stay for local and international groups including school groups, university/college groups and adult groups. We offer Marae Stay on Waiheke Island and North Auckland. Both Marae are situated next to the ocean with stunning coastal locations. Itineraries range from 2-5 days and are flexible to meet the needs and time restrictions of each group.
Marae Stay is an educational introduction to Maori culture through hands on workshops as well as exploring the spectacular natural environment through outdoor adventure activities. Accommodation is provided within the sacred ancestral meeting house, the focal point of the Maori community.
Itinerary may include the following workshops:
Maori Arts and Culture:
- Mahi raranga – Learn flax weaving
- Poi making – Make a poi and learn traditional poi dance
- Mau rakau – Participate in traditional martial arts
- Taonga puoro – Make a traditional musical instrument
- Haka & Waiata – Learn traditional song and dance
- Tikanga – Be part of Maori customs
Outdoor Adventure Activities:
- Kayaking – Easy to use sit on kayaks
- Snorkeling – Experience local marine life and collect seafood
- Boogie boarding – Learn this fun, easy form of surfing
- Fishing – With handlines off the coastal rocks
- Raft building – Group problem solving
- Horse riding – Along a spectacular white sand east coast beach
- Coastal walk – Explore the coast line and learn traditional uses of plants
- Beach activities – Beach volleyball, swimming, sunbathing, gathering seafood
Please contact us to discuss the requirements of your group and for more detailed information.
Itineraries and prices provided upon application.